Monday 20 May 2013

I love the preceding song with Van Morrison and Sinead OConnor, Van at his peak of redoing one of his most deeply beautiful songs with beautiful lyrics and then, half way through interpolation, instead of the lovely words, he comes in with 'blub blub blub blub blub blub'... the man is magical. He doesn't care...

I still recall him singing a beautiful Scottish ballad and then just cutting in with the most tangential rhythms and tones...make everything new, even if not as good, but new, always.  'I will build my love a bower by some clear crystal fountain, and on it I will place all the flowers of the mountain, will ye go, lassie, go'...if one has any love for the original, and I do, it is very very hard to listen to what Van Morrison does to it..but then, he was just practicing, on stage, just doing something different for the moment, just folding everything over and re-making it as he liked...and then this bizarre and yet wonderful 'blah blur blur blah' of scat coming in. Magical. The one and only.He's a great and unique artist in that he just does whatever takes his fancy, having created a great entrainment of sounds that echo in the heart.

No comments: