Sunday 19 May 2013

Abraham Lincoln and the USA of the 21st Century

I think there was a time when America, the USA, was a good country to the world and to its own people.
 
But that was a long time ago now and when I see the USA always so willing to put its best young men in the line of fire for an ideology or a friend that changes by the week, based on evidence that has to be created, and I see the proliferation of weapons and killings within America then I am reminded of Lincoln's words as I believe America is in the process of the great self harm that he describes.
 
I do believe that people have a right to suicide, but not to take everyone else with them.
Abraham Lincoln felt no foreign power could ever defeat the United States. He said, "From whence shall we expect the approach of danger? Shall some trans-Atlantic military giant step the earth and crush us at a blow? Never...No, if destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide."

No comments: