Saturday 8 April 2017

Casio

Mr President
The Casio Watch Company
5400-1 Higashine-ko, Higashine-city, Yamagata 999-3701 Japan
Dear Mr President
It is with sad reluctance that I forward to you, in this package, the Casio G-Shock GA-100 watch I have owned for about one year. I bought it at Brisbane Airport in Australia. I recall the price was about $AU130.00.
I have had a good personal ‘affinity’ with Casio products over the years as they are well made, accurate, and affordable.
My first 'Nurses Watch' was a simple analogue quartz Casio and was engraved with my name by my parents when I graduated in the 1980s. It was light, sturdy and very useful for many years. I have liked Casio ever since.
I am returning the GA-100 G Shock watch to you simply because I have spent, in general total, more than ten hours trying to change the analogue hands on it to match the digital clock on the dial, due to Daylight Savings Time changes here in Melbourne, Australia. 
I have studied the book that came with the watch, I have read and analysed the available information on-line and have watched a number of YouTube videos regarding how to adjust this watch. 
Apart from my own time spent in this pursuit, I have driven to two watch repair shops locally and the watch repairers, not un-talented people at all, have been unable to adjust the analogue hands to the correct time, each taking about 30 minutes in their attempts. They couldn't change the hands at all but I did pay them a small amount for their efforts although this was not asked for.
I like the sturdiness of the G Shock watch indeed, although it has occasioned a crack in the glass as well, although I cannot recall ever bumping it against anything. The crack does not seem to affect the waterproofness of the watch at all...and is in a perfect straight line across the face without any sign of an impact, even on close and magnified study.
I have attached the photographs also of the GA-100 with a ‘fake’ U-Boat watch I bought in Thailand 7 years ago for the equivalent of about $AU40...and do note that the ‘fake’ watch has been quite brilliant in its time keeping and sturdiness, and waterproofness, and, over 7 years has not occasioned any damage to its glass at all.
I have also attached a photograph of my Grandfather's Westclox pocket watch, made in Canada in about 1930, and I do note that this wind-up watch does keep extremely good time and is very easy to adjust.
I am not seeking a refund regarding the GA-100 nor any other recompense, but I wish you to know that I am not happy with this product and so I simply and sadly return it to you for your company's study and reflection.
I have always liked watches. I will always have a warm place in my heart for the Casio nurses watch and I thank you for that excellent time keeping and for that fond memory.
Yours sincerely
John Fitzpatrick
MASA.

No comments: