Thursday 20 November 2014

The Importance of Fiction in Palliative Care and in Government

We cannot underestimate the importance and power of fiction in creating reality. I was employed for a long time by the Queensland Government to write the Strategic Plan for Palliative Care Services in the 11 health divisions in the North of Queensland and I did so successfully, and am responsible for the development and implementation, and the ongoing substantial funding for the Palliative Care service at Gordonvale Hospital...and ,although I did these things as a member of the Health Professions, and as a somewhat Faceless Bureaucrat at the time,  the skills I used were those I had employed as a successful children's fiction writer. Thus, the world, in North Queensland, is a somewhat better place than it would have been otherwise.

No comments: