Thursday 20 November 2014

CROUCHING WRITER, HIDDEN FLAGON

The first of my 4 major manuscripts (the first I am editing to Reader level) is The Orange Gate Ghost which is the adult story of a Children's Fiction Writer who doesn't particularly like children at all. It is a humorous book dealing with the Meaning of Life. My first task is to change it from First Person narration to Third Person story, and to increase it's size by about 10,000 words. It is still a slim healthy sized book this way. I don't like thick books.
Changing the narration from "I" to "He" is a bit of a challenge as the tale is dear to my heart. I may in fact change it from "I" to "She" so as to make the editing more of a form of self-learning as well.


The other Big 3 manuscripts are Red Pack Bang...currently 100,000 words, which is to big for my memory to keep recalling where I am in the re-writing of it, so I will change it into 3 small books, although under the one title/cover.


The next would be My Life in a Hospice which is a non-fiction looking back at 30 years of work in palliative care nursing and strategic planning, including my own particular moral view at the end.


The next is To Kong Rai, a pretty readable junior novel as it is...an adventure story set in the Golden Triangle with the main characters being an Australian girl and a Chinese boy. It is being written in both English and Mandarin and so will take some long lead-time.


They are my main works on the desk now. I have some others...experiments in what you can actually do with a story.


Another not-yet-fully-baked manuscript is Brother Tamada...the story of a semi-superhero nuclear irradiated Japanese Christian Brother trying to convert China. His first problem, and one that he never realises, is that his name, Tamada, in Mandarin, means 'Mother fucker'.


My Final Work, as I see it, will be a Chinese-English long poetic piece called Wo Ai Ni Park, which I am writing under the name of Wang YuHan rather than John Fitzpatrick. It is the poetic story of my love for my wife.

No comments: