Saturday 3 June 2017

Good Thinkers and Tinkers

I like a few modern thinkers, but not many. I liked Christopher Hitchens because he was a great and eloquent Atheist, especially when he had had a few drinks, even though I do believe in a very personal God, myself. I do. I just do because I choose to, even though it makes no sense at all. My life doesn't need to make sense. that is not why I am here.
Christopher was a brilliant light of 'passionate reason' and you don't get that kind of person in 7 billion once in maybe 5 hundred years on this world. I miss him.
He went on from being a devout Atheist to being a devout Contrarian, and I felt sad for that change...but still I respected that what his mind and heart chose was totally up to him...as it is with us all.
I joined the Church of Reason for some time after I heard him speak. I wish he was still around, but, alas, he is very dead now. Extinguished. Such is life.
After him, really, for me, there was only the Reformed Church of Spongebob Squarepants, that held any allure. I must admit that the notion of a belief system that will not accept your money is a pretty damn good one...and the Reformed Church of Spongebob Squarepants does indeed set forth this Primary Condition in its Doctrine...and I just wish all Churches did. I hope they all will, one day.
As we have all done, since the Dawn of Time, or at 5am on a Tuesday morning, instead of putting one's head in the oven, we all simply believe what we prefer, and why not believe some good things? Why not believe in the capacity of people to think for themselves and work out what they prefer? Isn't this the base of all belief, in the self, in others, and in the gods? There will be a time when sticking one's head in the oven does make sense, if we are lucky to have the choice and take it wisely, but before then, well, here we are...and some of life is pretty good as far as I know. I've noticed that the longer I live, the better life gets...and there is a scientific equation for this...childhood is basically happy, as you progress through teens and adulthood, its pretty unhappy, but when you get older, its is okay, and quite happy again. That's the Science of human life. this is not rocket-science or rocket-surgery, it's just how life is for most people who get there.
As for a good death, well, there is no such thing. This is one of the great myths of our time...but that's not important. Death only takes a few minutes. You just breathe out and don't breathe in again. That's not rocket science either, and its all as natural as it has always been.
If I had to send love to anyone dead, apart from folk I love as kin, then I would send it to Christopher, for being so passionate about the Mind, and way back 500 years to my hero, Michel de Montaigne, for being so passionate about Being. Well done! Love to you both from way over here in time. You 'done us' and yourselves so very well with all the love of your hearts and minds, and in your wondrous word-smithing craft. Fine bhoys both, and bright as buttons, to be sure, by any reckoning of the lot of us.

No comments: