Wednesday 16 October 2019

Daylight Saving is a funny thing. I was in favour of it for decades until I bought a fantastic Casio GShock watch 3 years ago and suffered far too many hours trying to change the hour hand. And this may make you think I am an idiot, true, but I handed it over to 5 other people, not idiots, actual watch aficionados, watch shop keepers etc, and they couldn't change the time on it either, without access to the 70 page instruction booklet. I posted it back to Casio in Japan, I sent it back saying that I don't want it anymore...and that they should try harder...but instead of keeping it, they fixed it, and sent it back to me. That's true. They returned it, fixed up for that season. Nice of them. So, instead of doing that again this year, I bought a $25 replica of it that is much easier to change. The remarkable Casio G Force, a watch you can wear underwater on Jupiter, as one needs to do, is in the desk drawer until the times change back again in a few months. I doubt the real usefulness of Daylight Saving. It is a complication, a complexity, and we are getting much simpler now, and for the future, and we can't do fascinating complexity anymore.


No comments: