Monday 29 October 2018

We are a motley crew.I recall when I was a bus driver in Sydney in...1978. I'd open up the doors and welcome people aboard the 190 from Wynyard to Palm Beach and most folk seemed to like that, until some guy one afternoon didn't like it and hit me in the face with a claw-hammer. Its a funny world. We are a motley crew. I was discussing 'empathy' with a young nurse tonight and she said she had problems with having empathy for people who were addicted to Ice, alcohol, or anything else. I acknowledged that empathy is a bit like harmony. Harmony is a worthy goal...as is empathy. The notions spring forth naturally from our emotions and need to be honoured. Empathy is very creative. Emotions create reason. Without emotions, there is no human reason. The other day at work a patient who is always worried about something and tends to break into every conversation or anything I'm doing with anyone else, and I was very busy with someone who was pretty-very crook... anyway, she couldn't wait and so burst into the conversation with..."I'm going to..." then she looked into my eyes...and paused...and then said "I'm just going to bugger off to my room for awhile." I believe she is beginning to appreciate the concept of empathy. Must be the goatee. Keep the faith. We are a motley crew from go to whoa.


No comments: