Monday 17 June 2013

the Australian Flag

As an Australian, I think Australia is an okay place to live. I have lived in other countries, under other systems, some democratic, some Royalist, some communist-totalitarian, but all in all, Australia is okay.

It is nice and yet nothing really special.

The best thing about Australia is also the worse thing: the lack of people here. I have lived in a city bigger than the Australian national population...and there are many things nice about Australians in terms of being an endangered species in terms of numbers, but there are also some equally quite sad and lonely things about this reality...but that is a discussion for some other time.

I believe I was Lucky to be born as an Australian but this never translates into me being Proud to be born as an Australian...because birth/race and location is really much of a lottery.

I like Australia, after 60 years, but it has taken this long. You will not see me hanging the bizarre Australian flag from my doorstep...although there is nothing essentially wrong with the Australian Flag, apart from the British Flag so dominant in the sinister upper corner.

I will not be hanging this flag from my house, ever. It is a flag of Oppression, of ownership by someone else, and remains so, and will remain so until the British double-cross is removed.

The stars of the southern cross against the beautiful blue sky is a much better and more fitting and more beautiful flag for us as a people. We do not need a boomerang in it... the southern cross is our flag...without British and without Boomerang etc simply because when we look into the evening clear sky we see these stars...we do not need to see the British or the Boomerangs...every human being who has ever lived and belonged here for 100,000 years has always looked up to the Southern Cross to estimate their place of being...that is enough for me, and it is enough for all decent Australians to know where they are and who they are.

No comments: