Sunday 14 October 2018

Small Tattoo of the Sun. I got this small benign skin cancer on a hot tropical Friday, riding the BMW K1100LT from Cairns to Rockhampton, about a 1200km journey, maybe around the year 2000​. in the year 2000, she would have been about 12​. I had trouble with family business at that time and just wanted to make sure that daughter knew I was caring and thinking about her....and I rode the bike down to make sure to make a connection with daughter who lived with her Mum in Rockhampton. I started about 6am and rode South for Cairns and pushed the bike up to around 200kph to make good time for awhile. I had fingerless leather gloves on and they were fastened by a press-stud but still left the top of the hand exposed. My right hand felt the heat and light and bite of the Western Queensland sun for about 6 hours. I arrived in Rockhampton around sunset, set up my small tent, had a shower, rode up to pick up daughter, take her to dinner and movies, drop her back off home, then I slept the night in the tent, then, early next morning, rode back to Cairns. I had to be back for work the next day. I did that. So, ever since, I have had this small tattoo of the sun on my right hand, and, in this way, I remember how it is to be a father.

ah, there it is.


No comments: