Wednesday 3 October 2018

I recall when my Dad couldn't get a job in Sydney for many years and we lived in a tent that local protestants set fire to from time to time, with Mum my brothers and myself inside..because dad was Irish Catholic Refo Bog Rubbish. Still, Dad never took to drink or violence, never swore or hurt anyone, he just tried harder....I feel some compassion for those Iraqi refo men on Manus Island...but Australia doesn't change very much at all, at all. We are best at Fear and Exclusion and Cruelty rather than other human qualities. Dad was just damn lucky he was just a tyke, a celt, a fenian, not a kyke, nor a nigger, nor a spag, a wog, nor a chink, nor a nip, nor an eastern european rag picker, and very fortunate indeed that he wasn't brown, yellow, an abo, or a woman... Don't go singing "We are One but We are Many" Not yet by half.


No comments: