Wednesday 25 November 2015

On Palliative Care, Euthanasia, and Mental health

being of a totally atheistic secular mindfulness, i believe that if humans can get birthing 'right' and, as natural as possible, and if humans can get 'deathing' right, and, as natural as possible, then most of the issues in between are pretty easy to work out. 
as for this world, well, we have done some things to getting birthing right, for sure... abortion, contraception in all its forms, good midwives etc... but as for deathing side, well, we are stone-age in every way and the meanings that flow from our societies are stone age because of this flaw.
I spent many years in palliative care titrating the necessary and quite beautiful drugs that really do help people. I never once, in all my roles, felt that euthanasia was a bad thing. I just didn't do that because it was and is illegal...but , to get the balance right, it should be legal. That much is obvious. Legality re euthanasia would bring about better outcomes for quite a lot of people, and it would help to bring about a much better, much more loving human society. Interestingly, it would bring about human societies that would not spend half of their lives living in cringing fear of what other people were going to do to them unless they paid them enough.
I would like elective euthanasia to happen as much as I support elective contraception. I would like that to happen, but I'm not so interested in that, really, because my care for dying folk ended with my career in elective palliative care and the approximate 666 people I walked with to their meaningful deaths with all myself and science could do for them in my career.
I work in mental health now, with people who only think they are dying with their psychosis, anorexia, bulimia, addictions, personality disorders etc. For me, this current job is a great relief. Pretty well all these characters will outlive me anyway..and the sometimes bright characters who don't outlive me, don't want to...and this is not my business.

No comments: