Thursday 19 November 2015

A True Fishing story from Far North Queensland, in Australia

a brief and true story of Far North Queensland Fishing.
I always wanted an expensive fantastic fishing rod and reel but couldn' afford one. I chose, instead, a standard Alvey reel and rod, made in Australia.
Nice, about 3 moving elements in the reel so it couldn't get jammed up.
i went fishing at Palm Cove Pier one afternoon. The tide and moon were right, and I hoped to catch something...and I did...
There was a heavy drag on the line and I reeled it in and pulled up the mostbeautiful Daiwa rod and reel...about $500 worth of fishing gear that had, obviously, gone off the pier some time before. It was golden and beautiful, the Daiwa reel...pure advanced Japanese technology.
I loved it! What a catch! It took me about 4 fishing sessions to work out how it worked. I threw the Alvey rod and reel into the shed.
Then one lovely afternoon I went fishing from the beach at just past Buchans Point there, in the soft sand...and I tossed out the bait on the perfect Daiwa set up and waited. Nothing happened, so I stuck the rod in a rod holder that I had pushed into the sand.
I went for a walk, maybe a hundre dyards, came back, and ten yards away, saw the line jump taut and drag, and so whatever was on the line was big...and as I ran towards the rod and reel, it just went flying there out into the sea...Lost to me.
It happened. It's a true fishing story and yet I haven't worked out the moral deep meaning of it all. I never do that kind of thing any more.
Maybe that's the moral deep meaning of it all.
We live on the edge of The Great Sea and our meaning doesn't catch things on a hook for awhile...it just plays us for awhile, catches us, and then releases us again into the wild.

No comments: