Sunday 7 October 2018

I know swearing is harsh, and I often don't like it at all, but at the same time, it can be meaningful or very funny...context and timing are most critical. Swearing and a comedic theme can go well together. Comedy is funny because it breaks some social law in some way. A man slips on a banana whereas he should have just been walking...pretty much all comedy is like that...something that shouldn't happen...happens. So I think pretty well all comedy comes about as some sort of insult to what is normal or acceptable or appropriate, whatever 'appropriate' means. I taught my children as best i could that swearing was for a few reasons: Either to indicate significant pain, shock, indignation or betrayal. Swearing in these contexts was a very good thing to do. Or, swearing was a way to improve comedy delivery. The Australian vernacular is rich with possibilities in this manner. The traditional saying 'every man and his dog were there' still, to me, is far more entertaining and meaningful when one says 'Every cunt and his dog were there'.It means the same thing, yet is just more fun and colourful to say. We should teach our children well. Imagine, if when reading the bible, instead of Pilate dismissing his wife's concern about having a threatening dream of Jesus the night before, instead of just dismissing her concerns, he had said "look, Cheryl, I acknowledge that you've had a bad dream, but, I just got home...just let me relax a bit. I received a bad scroll from Rome, the city is running out of wheat, and I've been dealing with the Jews all day...I've had a cunt of a day."


No comments: