Thursday 4 October 2018

3 Nazis i have met in my life. One: I parked my BMW K1100LT in the carpark outside the shopping centre and an old guy came up and started talking about the bike. He said they had changed a lot since the War. He said he was riding the Wermacht twin machine through L'Arc de Triomphe in Paris, he was one of the first wave of German Infantry to take Paris. It was a beautiful day. His machine gunner was in the sidecar, singing. He had stuffed fresh red roses in the barrel. The girls of Paris were so beautiful. He felt so...triumphant. He had a new full length black leather coat made to order. The world, for him, was a wonderful place that day. He said 'well, eventually, we lost, but I have never forgotten the joy of that day when I was 25. It was my birthday. The future was this wonderful possibility...My parents, my friends, my self, we were all so proud of me...times go by...anyway...you have a nice bike.' 2: Jacques, the 80 year old painter/artist. As a young man he was very interested in, and joined Hitler Youth and was very proud and happy. For the first time in his life, he felt respected. He was 16. When it came to being conscripted into the German Army, he got scared and ran away, not because he disagreed with Hitler, but because he was scared of the exercises and of eventually getting hurt. He had a low pain tolerance. So, at 20, he stole his parents money, and he ran from Germany, across Europe, across Africa, and Asia and ended up in Australia...learning and extending his painting skills in every place. He remains a very celebrated artist with his paintings doing well around the world, in galleries, etc. I asked him how he looked so young and fit, for a man of his age, and he replied 'well, I think it is because whenever I have been faced with a challenge, or any kind of personal responsibility, I have run away." 3: Mrs Myrtle: 100, having outlived all her enemies, living in a remote Australian hospital. She lived on a large pastoral property and by the age of 20 had shot to death 7 aborigines, including 3 kids, who had taken to living on her river's edge. Then she married well and lived a grand life, a true matriarch, surrounded by many tens of kids, twenties of grandkids, 30s of great grand kids... 'Mind you," she said "you wouldn't do that these days." I asked 'You wouldn't shoot people?" No, you wouldn't have so many kids, not these days.. Real people, real lives. Life is quite an interesting thing. I think everything is going to work out fine.


No comments: